MBA - CPA
A specialized track of study within the iMBA program, the iMBA-CPA option provides students with tailored accounting coursework and aligned Certified Public Accountant exam preparation. The iMBA-CPA option is designed so students can earn their MBA degree and complete the four parts of the CPA exam in as little as one year. A part-time option is also available.
Pennsylvania requires that those who wish to sit for the CPA exam must hold an undergraduate degree, and those interested in becoming a CPA must have 150 college credits. This program is structured to provide both the education required to prepare students to pass the exam within one year and the necessary credits to meet the 150-credit hour requirement for certification.
For program participants who take the iMBA-CPA courses during the day or evening and take part in the CPA review, the exam pass rate is very high.
Unique aspects of the program:
- The accounting curriculum portion of the program is geared specifically to the CPA exam.
- CPA review is provided as a complete package by Becker CPA review, a nationally ranked CPA review, with scholarship funding for the Becker course included along with tuition for the program through Philadelphia University.
- Students will sit for the CPA exam before graduating, all within one year.
- PhilaU provides a scholarship that pays for the Becker CPA review modules, CPA exam review, CPA mobile flashcards and fully reimburses exam registration fees as you pass each part. This scholarship (based on undergraduate GPA and/or GMAT score) has a value of approximately $5,000.
- The Big Four accounting firms often expect that new hires take and pass at least some portion of the CPA exam. Our program positions students for CPA success compared with students from other programs.
Curriculum (33-34 total credits)
MBA Core Courses (24 credits)
• Management Communications and Negotiations
• Global Managing in the 21st Century
• Management of Information Through Technology
• Accounting for Management Decisions
• Financial Policy and Planning
• Quantitative Methods in Decisions
• Strategic Marketing Management
• Strategic Planning in a Global Environment
Accounting Option (10 credits) OR Taxation Option (9 credits)
• Financial Accounting & Reporting I • Individual Taxation
• Financial Accounting & Reporting II • Corporate Taxation
• Auditing and Attestation • Tax Research
NOTE: This program has been designed for students who have completed an undergraduate degree in accounting. However, students with an undergraduate accounting minor or who have completed significant undergraduate accounting coursework are encouraged to contact the Graduate Admissions Office for further advice.
Completed graduate application
Official GMAT results
Please note that conditional admission can be granted without submitting GMAT scores provided you do so by the end of your first semester. At that time, you will be considered for full admission status.